Manchester United News TV Online

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dimi: I play to entertain


New signing Dimitar Berbatov explains why he shunned offers from United's rivals to wear the red shirt...

It feels fantastic to be a Manchester United player. It was a long battle but in the end I'm very happy to be here at the greatest club in the world. Hopefully I’ll play my part in the team and we win many trophies as well.

I always believed I would end up here. I was going through very difficult times but I always believed that things were going to happen and in the end they did. Now I'm the happiest guy in the world.

The red shirt is a really, really big thing for me. The people around me, my really close friends know that I play to enjoy, to entertain the fans. I don’t play for the money. If I wanted to play for the money, I would accept Manchester City's offer or Chelsea's. I want to play for the biggest club in the world and that’s why I’m here. I’m thankful for everybody, for the help they have given me and for the work they did.

I hope I can play my part and help United win more trophies because that's an important thing in football. And of course, I hope I’ll enjoy the football with the players we have here.

I’m 27 and now is my time. This is maybe the last step in my career. I’m at the biggest club in the world and here I can develop in the way I want, the way I always wanted. That’s the most important thing for me.

I have been handling expectation and pressure through all my life. I’m not scared, that’s why I’m here. The most important thing is to enjoy myself, to help the team win more trophies, entertain the fans and if I do that, if I show my ability like I did at Tottenham, I don’t think there'll be any problem.

Our next game (Liverpool) is the type of game we live for. I think it's the biggest game and I can’t wait to play.

No comments: